Monday, November 6, 2017

The Surprising Benefits of Disappointment

Recently, I found out that a work project that I’d spent weeks preparing for wasn’t going to happen. The opportunity was scrapped for reasons out of my control, and when the news dropped into my inbox, I immediately felt that familiar pit deep in my stomach that always seems to accompany true disappointment. (Also, how weird is it that the gut is so connected to our emotions? But I digress…) In that moment, I had a choice: I could attempt to avoid future disappointment by “not getting my hopes up” (i.e. the self-protection instincts that we frequently employ but rarely actually work), or I could allow myself to feel the disappointment, accept that I can’t win ’em all, and take a few learnings from the experience. Then, move on. photo via jacqueline mikuta ...see the slideshow here

The post The Surprising Benefits of Disappointment appeared first on Camille Styles.



from Camille Styles http://ift.tt/2zAWXsn
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment